POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Domain Poisoning? : Domain Poisoning? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Domain Poisoning?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Sep 2009 06:47:12
Message: <4ab8ab30$1@news.povray.org>
All,

I've run into this a couple times, now. Once on my work PC (Which is
alarming, but then viruses have been known to run wild at times) and on
my wife's notebook.

My PC is unaffected, so far.

What happens is this: You click on a website (in my wife's case, it was
a result form a google search, in my case, a bookmark to Tor Olav's
website) but instead of the site you were expecting you're redirected to
some bogus virus scanner website, which then tells you you have hundreds
of infected files and to download their "virus scanner", which is
actually a trojan horse, that loads up your computer with all sorts of
malware, then demands you pay for the program to clean your infected
computer.

When this happened to me, I thought perhaps Tor's host closed down and a
rogue took it over. But, I tried a different page on his site, and it
was clean. I tried the original bookmark again ... normal. Weird.

It was the same with my wife's site. She was searching about neck pain,
and followed a link to a legitmate website and got the same thing. It
redirected her to a site of the URL "compuererthreats2.com" (note the
spelling) which began the bogus scan.

My work computer appears clean, according to the eTrust scanner. Her
computer appears clean according to Norton. I see no suspicious
processes running on either computer, and all settings and relevant
registry entries look fine. WTF is happening? Is there something out
there poisoning DNS servers briefly, but randomly, causing this, or is
there a new nasty out there that has hidden itself deeply within my
wife's and my work computers?